Monday, March 30, 2009

Motorcycle Mama???

The summer of 7th grade, one of my classmates (Gary Wolf) got a red motor scooter. Of course, the first thing my parents said was, that he would get killed on it. The first thing I did was to get a ride on it and proceded to hitch a ride as often as I could. I was hooked on motorized two wheelers. From then until I was married, I would ride with just about anyone. I was never vane enough to let my hair stop me from enjoying a ride.

Jim and I were married in 1970. Our first major purchase--before our washer and dryer was a 1971 blue Harley Davidson Sportster. You think we didn't have our priorities in order! If our children did that, we might think they were irresponsible. For the next seven years we were free as birds. We would decide to take a ride at 10:00 at night, load the bike up in the van and head for Bike Week in Daytona, or the Sunshine Nationals in Memphis, where we spent a weekend and never say a ray of sunlight.

I decided when I was young that I wanted my own bike. Jim took me to try out a 100 cc HD or something like that and I almost took down a chain link fence. He then decided that two wheels wasn't for me so he WOULD build me a three-wheeler. He started collecting parts---VW engine, fiberglass body from California (all of the neighbor kids and Jodi had a great time playing with the box) and lots and lots of chrome parts. It was a beautiful Cherry Red. When he finally finished it, I was eight and a half months pregnant and never rode it by myself. Jim says it is the only vehicle he has ever had that he didn't know how fast it would go.

Shortly after Lafe was born, Jim took me for a ride and I was terrified. My maternal instinct kicked in and I could not ride again for 20 years. In the meantime, Jim continued to collect parts and build motorcycles. Lafe asked us one time when he was about three---"where do people who don't have upstairs keep their motorcycle parts?". Jim also continued to ride regularly and to take extended bike trips with his friends. I was a lunch lady and he was a biker and we each did our own thing.

I retired in 1997 and both kids were old enough to take care of themselves. Jim put me on the bike and we rode 200 miles and it was amazing---just like the old days---no terror!! He lovingly (with help from a friend) made me a seat that I could actually be comfortable on. My friend Stella and I flew to Las Vegas and her husband Al and Jim rode out and picked us up. We rode all through the west and went to Sturgis, SD, 2,000 miles. When I got home, I told Jim it was like riding through a National Geographic Magazine. Just like the little red scooter---I was hooked again. Never underestimate a Mother's maternal instincts.

I think back from the beginning of our marriage and am happy that we had the courage to follow our dreams. I am glad that Jim always knew what he wanted and that we have been able to enjoy the golden years on the road! What a wonderful way to see, feel and smell America.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

sherry,
we will always enjoy the rides, it is better than a national geography magazine. because we are one with nature, rain,sunshine,hot,cold. still better than being in a cage. its like working outside some days are really great, some not so nice. great days by far make up for the ones not as nice.

your loving husband
jim



Mr. Bloggerific Himself said...

You two can have the nature and elements, I'll stay on this side of the monitor and read about the adventures. :)



Mom of Jack said...

We love you guys, really really love you guys. And miss you too.

Abby and Jack Henry



Post a Comment