Thursday, April 2, 2009

April Fool's Day

Yesterday was April Fool's Day. It was also my favorite Great Uncle Geofrey's birthday. He would have been 90 years old. He passed away two years ago. He may have been born on April Fool's Day, but, he was no one's fool. I am sure it was a great surprise to his mother. He was a late life baby. My great grandmother was 44 years old when he was born--and it may have seemed April Fool's Day to her. My grandfather, who was his older brother was 23 when he was born. My grandfather had five children, one of which was older. So, I was probably at least nine or ten before I realized he was actually my great uncle rather than my uncle.

I remember that I thought he was so cool when I was a child. He had a daughter who was a year younger than me and I would sometimes spend the night there. He was a very gentle and tenderhearted man with the bluest eyes that could fill with tears easily. I remember his HAM radio and he had friends all over the world that he would talk to. I thought that was really neat!
In his later years he transitioned his radio to conversing via e-mail. He would e-mail me until shortly before he died. He was 87 years old but he always seemed so young at heart. He sent some of the best e-mails, I ever got. I still miss seeing the WGP5 handle pop up.

One of my favorite days of the year is New Years Day and my favorite thing to do that day is to watch The Rose Bowl Parade. I remember watching my first parade in color on his TV when I was a child. He was the only person that I knew who had a color TV--I was so impressed. Uncle Geoffrey also was active in his professional association for postal employees. He loved to travel. No one else in our family did much traveling and I also thought that made him a real cosmopolitan (actually didn't know that word then). My Great Aunt Ruby Lee was a l0ving companion and always has had a giggle that makes me smile all over. I never remember either of them not seeming to adore one another.

Brittany and I took a road trip when she was home from college. We went to AR to see Josh and then to Houston to see Uncle Geoffrey and Aunt Ruby Lee and our cousins Pat and Butch. We first went to Galvaston and spent a few days. Brittany and I drove Geoffrey and Ruby Lee back to Houston. Uncle Geoffrey knew the way and was giving me directions. As we were becoming more lost--he started laughing and said---I have seen more of Houston than I have seen for years. We then knew he was thoroughly enjoying our "being accidental tourists". We had a great time!

I am glad that I had a chance to get to know him, because he was special to me. Brittany and I learned that we also loved Pat and Butch, who Brittany would not have had the chance to meet.

0 comments:

Post a Comment