Wednesday, March 18, 2009

The Bed

Everyone has heard the old adage, "If you make your bed, you have to lay in it".
This is my story about the bed I have made.

My bed is very easy to lay in. I make it up every day. Before Jim and I were married, we gathered together furniture for our first home from attics, basements and antique stores. While looking for chairs to go with our dining room table, I found a beautiful antique oak bedroom suit. The bed has a high flat poster at the head and a rolled foot board. It was beautiful and I loved it. It was just the kind of bed that I wanted. What I really didn't need or want was a diamond engagement ring. So, instead of a ring, I got a bed! Seemed very practical and logical to me.

When I lived in a college dorm there were two seats available--a desk chair or the bed. Rather than sitting in a straight backed hard chair, I sat on my bed for everything. I always studied, sitting cross legged on my bed. I ate on the bed and lounged there. Now that I will soon be 62 years old, I still sit in my bed to do paperwork and many crossword puzzles. I think I can safely assume that I will always do that.

Our house is an older house and my bedroom is practically in the center of the house. There are two chairs in my bedroom and most everyone who visits here on a regular basis has seen me propped on my bed and in my comfy gowns. My bed is my solace.

When Brittany lived at home, she and her friends would come in at night and crawl up in the bed with me to tell me about their adventures. Jim brings me coffee to my bed every morning(how lucky am I). We start the day having our coffee and reading the paper, he in a chair and me propped in bed. We chat with Brittany and plan our day. Many afternoons we watch the evening news and have a fresh cup of coffee before dinner in my bedroom.

When my Fibromyalgia acts up, I can always find comfort with my heated mattress cover in my bed. When I am sad, my bed brings me the comfort and solitude that I need to lick my wounds.
I really don't think a diamond ring could do that.

I also enjoy propping myself up with mounds of pillows and watching College Basketball. It is March Madness time and my bed calls me early in the evening. Jim doesn't like to watch the games, so it leaves him alone in the den. He has other things that are much more educational to watch.

So, if I am not going as fast as I can---you can find me cuddled up on my bed. I used to find this to be lazy, but now I just succumb to the comfort and blessings that my almost 40 year old bed brings. I am not sure how old it is and wonder if anyone else ever loved it the way I do. I read many home decorating books and see bedrooms that look spectacular, but I know that I could never give my bed up for the most elegant of them. Diamonds---not for me---maybe a new mattress!

0 comments:

Post a Comment