Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Words...Mama...WORDS

Lafe was born in 1977. This phrase became a part of our household language about 1980. This was long before "a crawl" on the TV was a daily occurence. It was also about the time Lafe really wanted to learn to read. He learned very quickly that words on the bottom of the television meant a major weather event. He would come running through the house calling...words, mama, words! I would then have to hurry to the family room to find out and relay to him what was happening. From the time he was born until he and Brittany were in elementary school, we paid close attention to the weather. We had learned lessons of paying attention to the weather forecast and planning ahead. We also watched for the school closings and the end of the report always said---the Owensboro Public Schools will be IN session.

Lafe was actually born after the major snow storms of 1976. This was the snow storm to top all of the stories we had heard from the oldtimers. Snow kept building layer upon layer. I told everyone that I would write the date on the calendar, because there would be a baby boom. Little did I know, after seven years of marriage, that I wouldn't need a calendar to remember. Our best friends (Debbie and Squirrel) also would become the proud parents of a baby boy. Both boys were born on the same day. My delivery wasn't quite as easy as Debbie's--I was in excruciating pain, while Debbie merely had cramps in her cheeks from grinning.

Lafe was born in October and the following January came the blizzard. I left Owensboro with my three month old baby as the rain turned to heavy snow and white out conditions in a Volkswagon. Volkswagons' heaters only work if the car is moving. When I got to Rudy Hills there were cars sliding backwards. I turned around and returned to Owensboro. Remember there were no cell phones! I was terrified. I called my secretary and her husband came and led me home with his 4 wheel drive pick up. He took Lafe in his pumpkin seat and made tracks for me to follow. I never wanted to be in this situation again. That Spring I bought my first Subaru. I felt safe in it and now have another Subaru. I think Ican go anywhere in my Subaru because it carried my precious cargo many miles on Hwy 60.

The recent ice storm will bring stories to mind for many years. I hope some of them bring Happy memories like ours. I also hope that lessons were learned by our young people that will help keep them safe in the future.

2 comments:

Lafe said...

Love You Mom



Mom of Jack said...

I love you, Too! Must visit soon, you and Jim will be happy to know Jack is off a bottle and formula! Yay, milk is so much cheaper. Oh and Jim got my baby addicted to eggs, he can't get enough! You can see some new pics of the boy over on my blog www.momofjack.blogspot.com. Love you the world!



Post a Comment