Saturday, March 7, 2009

Heartstrings

Heartstrings connect you to those you love. Actual logistic distance does not break heartstrings but a one sided continual tugging can. I am lucky that I have one of my children and my sister who lives in the same city as I do. I am even more fortunate that Brittany, who lives far away, keeps the strings tied tightly. She calls every morning and her Dad and I put the phone on speaker and have a nice visit. Even though she is 14 hours away, I know how she is feeling, what is going on in her life and usually what she is cooking for dinner. She shares her life with us. She tells me about her students and the "girls" she teaches with and I feel that I know them also. Brittany has a personality and feelings like me and I can almost read her thoughts. Today, she is putting in a fourteen hour day attending a flag competition for school. Even though she didn't want to be there, she will do her best. I have talked with her once already today and there was no whining. I am saying a little prayer that she has a good day.

Lafe and Jen moved back to Owensboro almost a year ago. Before that they lived in Arkansas. Lafe has also lived in Rhode Island and Mississippi. He is not a big talker and it was very hard to know how he was doing. I learned more from his blogging than I did by his actual conversations. For the entire time he was away, he called every Sunday night between six and six thirty. When the phone rang, I knew it was him. Lafe has always been my child that I didn't have to worry about---he has tried to always keep me from worrying by being faithful and predictable. He made sure to tighten his ties every Sunday. Since he has moved back home, I usually do Sunday night dinners. My way to make sure that we all stay in touch.

Sunday night suppers have included Jodi and Reed. Jodi used to call every day usually on her way to and from work and stop for dinner two or three other nights a week. She has become very busy lately and I am beginning to feel those strings getting much looser. Maybe that is what she needs at this point in her life. She knows that I am here and I know she will call when she needs me. Maybe this is the time that she becomes my sister and not my responsibility.

All that I know for certain is that I love them all and my heartstrings are strong and secure.

1 comments:

Jodi said...

My morning drives have become my only quiet time...I'm sorry if you felt I was pushing you away.



Post a Comment