Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Jim

What do you call a man who is so tough on the outside and gentle and caring on the inside?
A man who rides a Harley, and can hang with the men who make little old women cringe and children's eyes light up? I call him wonderful, Santa and my husband Jim. My kids are proud to call him their father. He is such a good friend to all of his buddies and they to him. He makes friends easily and loses them rarely. He calls when they are sick or having a hard time. Sometimes he just calls to chat and chat and chat. They talk about motorcycles and anodized aluminum and dial covers and zzzzzzz.

Men talk about things and women talk about relationships and feelings. Many years ago I decided that Jim needed to be more open about his feelings and that has made him a better friend for those in need. He has always been very caring, but now he has learned to also show how much he cares.

He is the best Santa in the world!! When he is Santa---there is not anything else in the world except the child that is on his lap---the gleam in their eye and helping the parent to capture the moment. I drive the sleigh and do the front work for him. He is so soft and caring and I am so proud of him.

No one knows by looking at this robust man in his bib overalls and black t-shirts that he has the eye of an artist. He always has a project. There is definitely art in the motorcycles that he builds and his stained glass projects. He had some surgery after Santa season and has been unable to do any heavy work. He has been very intent on his stained glasss art work. He has been making stained glass crosses for those he loves. Each cross symbolizes his reverence and devotion.

He keeps me grounded and dares me to take risks(like 33 days--in a row-- on the back of a Harley last year) that bring contentment to my life. My husband has given me enough love to keep me safe and secure and enough freedom to be the person that I am. What an amazing husband he has been.

2 comments:

Mr. Bloggerific Himself said...

The only problem with blogs that are well-written and actually have something to say is that it leaves me little room to make the usual snarky comments. Sherry, you left me little room, little room indeed. I'm glad your blogging. :)



Unknown said...

You are such a beautiful writer Mama! I love that you refer to Daddy as having an artists' eye. I have never seen at like that, but now it makes perfect sense. Watching your marriage stand the test of time has given me the unwaivering faith that my own marrisge will be just as fruitful and loving.

I am proud to call you both my parents!

Thanks for being sooooooo great:)

LOVE YOU!!!!!!



Post a Comment