Saturday, April 11, 2009

Easter Eggs

I just finished dying Easter eggs with Reed, my 3 1/2 year old nephew. I have been married for 38 years and think I have dyed eggs every year. It seems that there was seldom a year that a cup of dye didn't get spilled. Miraculously, me and a preschooler were able to accomplish what grown adults had never been able to--no mess. Reed did remind me that he could dye eggs like Daddy Jim showed him, that he learned in the Navy. Jim's method involves holding the eggs with your hand and dipping them in every color until they come out olive green or brown. Maybe that is why I didn't have a mess today--Jim, the old salt was MIA.

You see, I never got to dye eggs when I was growing up. The Easter Bunny always did that in seclusion. The closest I ever came to actually seeing the process was when I was a child, too smart for my own good. I found a dishcloth with traces of food coloring on it. My mother being quite the clever one, explained it away as traces that the bunny had probably had to wipe his butt after laying the eggs. Now, I know that baby bunnies don't come from eggs, but Easter Bunny was SPECIAL. My childhood Easter Bunny also spoiled us with only Russel Stover's candy. Even when grown, Easter Bunny always has made a visit--he still leaves a little RS candy and Jim must have Russell Stover jelly beans---no Jelly Bellies or imitations will do.

The first year that we were married, we joined our friends Debbie and Squirrel for a special night of dying eggs for their toddler. We had dinner and some light liquid refreshments. Some of us had more than others. We were having so much fun when we ran out of hard boiled eggs---we decided to dye the rest of the raw eggs in the house. Jim and I enjoyed the egg dying so much that we dyed some at home the next day. The kit of dye came with at least a hundred tiny rub on decals. Jim again, had way too much fun and decided to decorate our woodwork on the door facing. It was a rental house---I wonder what the next renters thought.

When the children were small we always had Easter dinner for the whole family---both sides. The kids would hunt eggs. When we lived in Owensboro, there was a hole in our driveway. I am not sure if it went to China or not, but it was about 4 inches deep in diameter and held a lot of eggs. Jodi has never forgotten the year that Jonas (our nephew) dropped almost every egg in the hole!

I used to be quite crafty and one year I let Jodi and the cousins in her age range make sugar shell panorama eggs. They put little bunnies and chicks inside and we decorated the outside with piped icing---Jodi's was yellow and Kim's was purple (according to Jodi). Yes, I was a brave soul in those days. My own kids did well to get to dye eggs, let alone make sugar eggs.

The year we lived in Spottsville we had the most fun with Easter. A very special older couple with no children ( Bob and Bea Green) went to my church. We made them a special Easter Basket and waited until it was dark and sneaked it on to their front porch. We then decided we had better make sure they got it rather than one of Spottsville's many dogs. Jim knocked on the door and we ran and hid. When the door opened, we ran home. The next day during church services, Bob got up in front of church and said it was the first time in fifty plus years---but Easter Bunny had visited them. I am not sure he ever knew who EB was, but he sure enjoyed trying to figure it out. He was an avid prankster and one of the kindest and most generous men I knew. What fun!

My family is coming for Easter and I am excited. It seems just a blink of an eye since they were young and dressing them for Easter was a big deal. I remember the year that Josh had the white suit and looked like the little guy on the sitcom---"de plane---de plane". I remember lace and pearl socks and ruffled panties, pale pink and black patent leather Mary Janes, ruffled dresses, ties, and hats. Boy was I a sucker for an outfit for the kids whit a hat! I remember Jessica and Cody and Josh and Brittany all dressed for Easter. Where has the time gone??

Another memorable year was the year I decided to dye eggs with my MOP group (a social group for adults with special needs). Brittany was also a volunteer then and I think we died six dozen eggs. I boiled the eggs. We were writing their names with crayons and dying eggs, when one of the guys decided to eat one. The eggs weren't done! Sabrina, who is lucky to have an IQ of 75 was not pleased with my culinary skills. We had to reboil the eggs after they were decorated. I told Sabrina that the moral of the story was to boil the eggs longer and always check one. Sabrina said, "the moral of the story is--let me boil the eggs, next time). My time with the MOP group always teaches me something. They love unconditionally!

Easter is special because Jesus died on the cross and I am always saddened and joyous at this time of year. But it wouldn't be Easter if I didn't get to dye eggs and make Easter Baskets! I love it, love it, love it. I do miss Brittany at this time because she loves it almost as much as I do. Today she is having Easter dinner with her friends in Charleston. Some of her friends are Jewish, so I guess it will be Easter/Passover Dinner. Her friend has never died eggs, so Brittany is taking eggs to dye. She wants to share her memories of dying eggs.

Happy Easter and if I don't see you---don't forget to hide your eggs!!!

1 comments:

Mr. Bloggerific Himself said...

Bzzzzzz goes the buzzer. Sorry, but the correct answer is "Fantasy Island". While many people laughed at the show, it wasn't technically a sitcom. Please take home one of our lovely parting gifts, thank you for playing.

:)



Post a Comment