Monday, May 4, 2009

Treasure Hunting

The Spring and Fall are my favorite times of the year to go treasure hunting. My treasure hunting involves getting up early on Saturdays to roam around town and visit garage sales. When the kids were young, anytime we took a walk we also looked for treasures--a feather,small broken toys, a special rock---anything could be a treasure. Not only do I find treasures but also meet interesting people. One day last Fall, I went to a sale that was run by a man, which is a little unusual. He had lots of red shirts in Jim's size(this man had been an avid Daviess County band parent whose colors were red). I told him that my husband played Santa and he looked at me and said you must be Sherry Benson. He knew Jim, and I was impressed that he knew my name. He was a wonderful man and we enjoyed a very pleasant conversation. I meet lots of old friends and visit with people in the community.

Last weekend, I found several treasures. I found an Otis Redding CD for Brittany with her special song that she played for George on their wedding day. I found a small sewing kit for 25 cents that included something that I really need---a small metal needle threader. I can never thread a needle anymore---I think they are making the eyes of the needles smaller as my eyes get weaker. My favorite treasure that day was a handmade white felt angel with angora wool hair. It came from an identical kit that my mother had bought at the old SW Anderson's Department store here in Owensboro. There were four angels in the kit, pink, blue, gold and white. There on a table with many forlorn articles, I saw my mothers hands as she carefully crafted the angels. I smiled and gave a nod to the skies as I made my purchase. One dollar for a great treasure and wonderful memory. I wonder how many people passed it by that day, before I got there. At my friend and supervisor's sale, I purchased a blue cornflower corning ware butter dish and lid. It had belonged to her mother. There is no telling how many pounds of butter has been served from that dish. I know most people use tubs of margarine from the grocery, but I still like stick butter---the real thing.

This past weekend, I had my monthly MOP group to volunteer at 11:00, so my treasure hunting was a little rushed. There was a $1.00 tea kettle that I found that I needed during the ice storm, 10 cents for a bag of lanterns to fit on Christmas lights, and a real deal on two matching tablecloths with ten napkins that I will use at one of my future catering projects---jewel tone plaids with bold colored napkins. White china cups and saucers to round out a set of plain white everyday china. With my purchase from Jen and Josh last year--an eight piece place setting for less than forty dollars. White will be a nice change for the Spring and Summer. I also purchased a hand embroidered pillowcase with a flower basket and a honey bee---since Reed calls me "B".

My home is filled with treasures and memories. Other than electronics, appliances and an occasional sofa (three to be exact in 38 years), everything has had a life somewhere else.
Buying new and retail never gives me the same feeling as reinventing a pre-loved object. This is my way of connecting the past to the present and hopefully to the future AND recycling.

One of my favorite treasures is a baby blue coffee mug with a gold nativity scene on it. The words in gold also say "Peace on Earth". It was late on a Saturday afternoon on one of the most elite neighborhoods in Owensboro. The sale had attracted big crowds because of the location. I walked by a table and there was the blue cup--calling me to pick it up. I picked the cup up and could tell it wasn't cheap. There was a tag on it that said "Free to a good Home". I knew that I would give it a good home and I cherish it every Christmas as I enjoy relaxing with a cup of coffee in my light blue living room. As always, I wondered how many people had passed that cup and couldn't commit to giving it a good home.

I leave a lot of treasure at the sales. I have new rules.
I must have an immediate use for it.
I must know where I will put it.
I will not buy things for other people unless it is really special!!! ( except Reed)
I will have fun and relax.

0 comments:

Post a Comment