Saturday, May 2, 2009

Age is Relavent

Lately, I have been feeling old. It could be because everyone my age is having birthdays that qualify them for social security. It could be because almost everyone I work with is considerably younger than me. Whatever the reason--I felt old. I have also figured out my desire to blog. When I was young, I was taught to respect my elders. This wasn't very difficult for me because I loved being around older people. They were so full of wisdom and I enjoyed hearing the stories of "how things used to be". Most of the people I worked with were considerably older than me and I had some wonderful mentors. My employees were much older and taught me so much. I lived in my own little world where I was "the youngest". I thought when I got to be their age there would be people who would want to learn from me. Everything is very different now! The age of technology and instant gratification is upon us. Twittering, or tweeter, facebook, instant message, cell phones and internet have catapulted young people into an age of "only what I want to know--when I want to know it" Young people don't have time for stories, they can instantly find the answers to their questions on the internet at their convenience and in brevity. They don't have time for stories and really don't want to listen.
This is why I feel the need to write, I need to tell my stories and nobody wants to listen.

Thursday, I attended a funeral of my beloved Sunday School teacher Bea Green. She was 95 years old. She was my spiritual mentor in my formative years. She was one of the older generation that helped to build my moral compass. She also was the person who taught me the books of the Bible. After nearly fifty years, I can still recite the entire list of the books of the Old Testament. Every time I hear the country song lyrics--everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to go NOW, I think of Bea. She was ready to go for as long as I remember. She played the piano by ear and wrote songs and poetry. When I ride across country, I think of a song she taught us about riding on the king's highway. It was a metaphor for riding with Jesus and I can appreciate all of what God made on the back of our Harley.

I think I may have been the youngest person at the funeral with the exception of family members. I sat next to a lady that came in alone and I have known her all of my life, but not well. She was dressed to perfection and her shoes and purse matched. She had on a lovely pastel pink suit and carried a cane. I am sure she is past 85, but not sure how far passed. She was a delight to talk to. She said that she dresses and gets out every day and still drives herself. Her body showed some age, but she definitely was young in spirit. My Aunt Lou sat next to me and she is seventy seven, I think. I only wish that I looked as good as she does and my other aunt that is also her age.

Age is definitely relavent and mostly mental.

2 comments:

Lafe said...

Dad was just telling me the story about Miss Bea and giving her an Easter basket when y'all lived in Spottsville.



Mr. Bloggerific Himself said...

As one of your co-workers, I've actually had one of our co-workers tell me that "I don't have time for stories today." Meaning he needed to tell me something but didn't want to hear MY stories.

I worked one in anyway. :)



Post a Comment